- 1/3 cup jackfruit flour
- 1 cup rava (sooji / semolina)
- ½ cup curd
- 1tsp mustard seeds
- 1tsp gram dal
- 1tsp chopped ginger
- 1tbs chopped green chilli(optional)
- 1tsp fruit salt
- Oil as required
- Salt as required
- Water as required
Method of Preparation
- Mix Rava and jackfruit flour in a bowl, add curd and salt in it.
- Add some water to form a smooth mixture. Keep it for half an hour.
- For tempering, take some oil in a pan add mustard seed, gram dal, ginger and green chilli.
- Mix tempering in idli batter and keep the idli boiler ready.
- Add fruit salt to the batter and mix it quickly.
- As the batter will become fluffy immediately fill it in greased idli moulds.
- Steam for 10-12 minutes. Take out the idli mould and let it cool then gently remove from the mould.
- Serve hot with any chutney and sambhar.
Trivia : Rava idli is specialty of Karnataka. According to famous restaurant chain (MTR) during second world war rice was short in supply so experiments were done to make idli with semolina and this created ‘Rava idli’.