The creation of the snack Mathri was influenced by the need to preserve food for many days on room temperature. Today Mathri is integral part of any marriage or religious occasion of north India.
By adding raw jackfruit flour you can reduce glycemic load* of your meal and increase vegetable fiber in your diet.
- 1/3 cup jackfruit flour
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour(maida)
- 1 tbsp rava (sooji / semolina)
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds (Saunf)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1 tsp fenugreek leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Oil- for frying
Method of preparation
- Mix maida, jackfruit flour and rava in a mixing bowl.
- Add carom seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek leaves and salt.Mix all the ingredients very well .
- Now add 2 tbsp oil and mix well in the flour. The flour should resemble like the bread crumbs.
- Add 1 or 2 tbsp water at a time and knead a very hard dough.
- Cover and allow the dough to rest for 20 mins.
- Take a small ball of dough in palm and roll it in small even circle with medium thickness .
- Deep fry mathri in medium hot oil on slow heat till golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold with mango pickle.