Idli is a traditional South Indian breakfast but popular through out India. It is a savory steamed cake of fermented batter. The fermentation process breaks down the starches so that they are more readily metabolized by the body. By adding raw jackfruit flour you can reduce glycemic load* of your daily Idli and increase vegetable fiber in your diet.
For idli batter
- 3 cups idli rice
- 1 cup urad dal (without skin)
For jackfruit idli
- 1/3 cup jackfruit flour
- 2/3 cup idli batter
- Salt as required
- Water as required
Method of preparation
To make idli batter
- Soak 1 part urad dal and 3 parts rice separately in water for 2 to 3 hours.
- First grind the urad dal well, then rice by adding water little by little to the batter and grind dal and rice to smooth batters.
- Now mix both the batters well.
To make jackfruit idli
- Add 1/3 cup of jackfruit flour in water to make thick batter.
- In jackfruit batter add 2/3 cup of idli batter and salt.
- Keep the mixture overnight for fermentation to make jackfruit idli.
- Bring the water to boiling point in idli maker before steaming the idli.
- Grease the idli mould with oil , then scoop out a ladle of batter and fill in the idli moulds, place it in idli steamer, close the lid.
- Steam for 10-12 minutes. Take out the idli mould and let it cool then gently remove the idlis from the mould.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambhar
Trivia : Idli is a traditional South Indian breakfast but popular through out India. It is a savory steamed cake of fermented batter. The fermentation process breaks down the starches so that they are more readily metabolized by the body.
Disclaimer: There is a chance that Jackfruit365TM based meals, combined with the medication, can lower your blood sugar too much! Hence, it is imperative that you work with your doctor to ensure you are monitoring your blood sugar and adjusting the medication properly. By consuming Jackfruit365TM you can reduce or eliminate your medications over a period of time. So, always keep your doctor informed.
*The glycemic load or glycaemic load (GL) is a number that estimates how much the food will raise a person’s blood glucose (also called blood sugar) level.
-for more info check www.jackfruit365.com